Fire heavily damages Christiana town house

Fire heavily damaged townhome on Jacobsen Circle in Hudson Village. (Photo: Delaware Free News)

CHRISTIANA, DELAWARE (2/8/2017) A fire that heavily damaged a townhome in Christiana was ruled accidental, authorities said.

The blaze was reported at 7;30 a.m. today in the 700 block of Jacobsen Circle, in the Hudson Village community.

The fire was caused by a malfunction in electrical wiring in the garage, said Robert Fox, chief deputy fire marshal.

A smoke detector alerted the three residents and they escaped without any injuries. They are staying with family.

Fire damage on the front of the three-story home extended to the roof. Damage was estimated at $100,000.

Minor damage was reported to the adjacent homes.

Christiana firefighters responded, with assistance from Aetna Hose, Hook & Ladder Company, Wilmington Manor, Good Will of New Castle, Minquas of Newport and Delaware City.

39-year-old man killed in fiery Bear crash