Woman taken to hospital after Bear fire is released

BEAR, DELAWARE (3/20/2016) A 52-year-old woman who was taken to a hospital early today after fire broke out in her home in the Cobblestones II community in Bear has been treated and released, authorities said.

The fire in the 1800 block of Dumas Place was reported about 1 a.m.

Christiana and other fire companies extinguished the fire in the single-story home, said Michael G. Chionchio, assistant state fire marshal. He said damage was estimated at $50,000.

The woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, said Sgt. Abigail E. Haas of New Castle County paramedics. She was taken by ambulance to Christiana Hospital in Stanton in stable condition. Chionchio said she was treated and released later in the morning.

Chionchio said the fire is still under investigation.

Other fire companies responding included Aetna Hose Hook & Ladder, Minquas, Wilmington, Belvedere and Odessa, Haas said.

New Castle County police also responded.


Fire heavily damages 22 apartments in Brandywine Hundred