CAMDEN, DELAWARE (2/17/2016) A child playing with a cigarette lighter started a house fire east of Camden causing $5,000 damage on Tuesday, authorities said.
The fire was reported at 1:29 p.m. in the first block of Ediman Court in the Seabrook Village neighborhood.
Camden-Wyoming Fire Company arrived to find fire in a third-floor bedroom in the occupied duplex.
Dover firefighters assisted in extinguishing the blaze and the fire was under control by 2 p.m.
No injuries were reported, according to the Delaware state Fire Marshal’s Office. The home was equipped with working smoke detectors.
Deputy fire marshals determined a 4-year-old was playing with the lighter and ignited combustibles in the bedroom.
The child will be entered into the Juvenile Fire Setters Intervention Program that is operated by the Fire Marshal’s Office.