NEWARK, DELAWARE (5/14/2016) Six people were injured today – one of them seriously – when a U-Haul box truck struck a railroad bridge in Newark, authorities said.
The crash was reported at 12:16 p.m. on Casho Mill Road near Munro Road.
All six people were riding in the rental truck and were taken to Christiana Hospital in Stanton, said Sgt. Abigail E. Haas of New Castle County paramedics.
Haas gave these details:
• A 42-year-old woman who was driving the truck was taken to the hospital by ambulance for evaluation. She was in stable condition.
• A 65-year-old woman who was a passenger also was taken to the hospital for evaluation in stable condition.
• A 24-year-old woman who was riding in the back of the truck was partially ejected. She was treated by paramedics for a head injury, then flown to the hospital in serious condition by a Delaware State Police helicopter.
• A 14-year-old boy riding in the rear of the truck was treated for lower extremity injuries and taken by paramedics to the hospital in stable condition.
• An 18-year-old man riding in the rear of the truck was treated for lower extremity injuries, then taken to the hospital by paramedics. He was in stable condition.
• Another 18-year-old man riding in the rear was taken by ambulance to the hospital for a possible head injury. He was in stable condition.
Newark police are investigating the crash.