House fire started by ashes put in cardboard box

LITTLE HEAVEN, DELAWARE (1/23/2016) A fire that heavily damaged a home west of Little Heaven early today was started when ashes from a wood stove ignited a cardboard box they had been placed in outside, authorities said.

Frederica Fire Company as well as other area firefighters responded to the fire in the 400 block of Buffalo Road shortly before 2 a.m.

One of four occupants of the home was taken by ambulance to Bayhealth Kent General Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and later released, said Michael G. Chionchio, assistant state fire marshal.

The blaze caused $250,000 damage to the single-family home, a travel trailer and two vehicles, Chionchio said.

The fire, which began on the exterior of the home, was ruled accidental.