Man subdued by trooper’s stun gun dies

MILFORD, DELAWARE (1/11/2016) A 35-year-old man subdued by a trooper’s stun gun last month has died, Delaware State Police reported Sunday.

Lionel Waters, of Milford, died Saturday at the Hospice Center of Delaware.

The trooper involved, whose name was not released, has been placed on administrative duties pending an investigation of the incident by state police homicide detectives and the state Attorney General’s Office. He is a six-year veteran of the force.

Police said they are awaiting results of an autopsy from the Delaware Division of Forensic Science.

Troopers had gone to a home in the 600 block of Milford-Harrington Highway about 10 p.m. on Dec. 20 with a warrant for a man sought by Dover police, Richard Wilson, 36, of Milford,  on a charge of violating a protection from abuse order.

When they arrived at the home, police said, Waters would not identify himself or allow troopers inside. As they began to leave, according to police, Waters opened the front door and said he had a weapon.

Troopers saw what appeared to be a firearm and demanded numerous times that Waters drop it, police said, but he refused.

“The male subject then became agitated, aggressive and actively resisted arrest,” police said in a news release.

“A trooper then deployed his divisionally issued Taser and was unable to successfully take the suspect into custody. Fellow troopers did assist in taking the subject into custody as the subject continued to actively resist arrest,” according to the police statement.

Police said Waters became unconscious and went into cardiac arrest, with troopers administering CPR and other life-saving efforts until paramedics arrived.

He was taken by ambulance to Bayhealth Milford Memorial Hospital, and police said at the time that Waters was in stable but critical condition.

“The preliminary investigation indicates alcohol may have been a factor in regards to Lionel Waters.” police said in their statement last month.

Police did not indicate when Waters was transferred to the hospice.

Wilson was later taken into custody when he arrived at the home and turned over to Dover police.