ARDENTOWN, DELAWARE (1/5/2016) Two people safely escaped when fire broke out in an Ardentown home Monday night, authorities said.
The fire, reported shortly after 7 p.m., heavily damaged the home in the 1500 block of Valley Road, said Michael A. Chionchio, assistant state fire marshal.
Smoke was pouring from the building when Claymont Fire Company arrived, he said.
He said investigators determined the fire started in the basement with a malfunction in the electrical service panel for the house.
It spread into the first floor, where firefighters brought it under control.
Damage was estimated at $50,000.
No injuries were reported.