WILMINGTON, DELAWARE (7/23/2015) Wilmington police say they have seen an increase in strong-arm robberies targeting cellphones and are offering tips to consumers to help prevent future crimes.
Police say the robberies have a common theme of distracted cellphone users having the phones snatched from their hands or pockets.
The tips from police:
1. Do not text and walk at the same time
2. At night walk in well-lit areas in pairs if possible.
3. Be aware of your surroundings, keep your head up and scan your surroundings.
4. If listening to music, use only one ear bud.
5. Record your cellphone’s serial number to provide police in the event it is stolen.
6. Treat your cellphone as cash and keep it hidden from public view
7. Report any person(s) that you believe to be suspicious and be as detailed as possible in your description.