West Minquadale house fire ruled accidental

NEW CASTLE, DELAWARE (5/25/2015) A fire that heavily damaged a single-family home in the West Minquadale neighborhood near New Castle this afternoon was accidental, authorities said.

Investigators from the state Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was caused when an electrical outlet strip failed and ignited nearby combustibles.

Flames were showing in the building when firefighters arrived in the first block of W. Hazeldell Ave. just before 2 p.m., said Michael Chionchio, assistant state fire marshal.

The American Red Cross was assisting two residents of the home.

Two people were reported treated at the scene.

Volunteers from Minquadale, Holloway Terrace, Wilmington Manor, Good Will, Minquas, Five Points, Belvedere and Claymont fire companies fought the blaze.

New Castle County paramedics, county police and Delaware State Police also were on the scene.

Fire damage was estimated at $30,000, Chionchio said.