Robscott Manor fire ruled accidental; woman taken to burn center

NEWARK, DELAWARE (2/9/2015) An elderly woman was injured after fire broke out at her house in the Robscott Manor neighborhood near Newark early this morning, authorities said.

The fire was caused by smoking materials on the second floor and has been ruled accidental, said Robert L. Fox, chief deputy fire marshal.

The fire broke out about 2 a.m. in the 100 block of Anglin Drive.

Firefighters from Aetna Hose, Hook & Ladder Company found heavy flames and smoke coming from the house when they arrived.

The resident was able to get outside before paramedics arrived and was then treated at the scene for possible smoke inhalation before being taken to the hospital by ambulance, said Cpl. Abigail E. Haas of New Castle County paramedics, who described her condition then as critical. Haas said the woman was 72 years old.

Later this morning, Fox said the woman was 80 years old and that she suffered minor smoke inhalation and was later transferred to the burn center at Crozer Chester Hospital in Upland, Pa., for observation.

No other injuries were reported.

Fox said damage to the home was estimated at $200,000.

Other fire companies responding were Christiana, Mill Creek, Minquas, Cranston Heights and Belvedere.

University of Delaware EMS and New Castle County police also responded.