Branmar Plaza gun arrests follow tip from employee

BRANDYWINE HUNDRED, DELAWARE (2/7/2015) A tip from an employee at Branmar Plaza led to the arrest of two Pennsylvania men on weapons charges, state police said today.

Troopers began investigating about 11:30 a.m. Thursday when a business employee at the shopping center told police of two men in a silver Honda Accord backed into a parking space with two men inside — one wearing a hooded sweatshirt and with a mask covering his face as if they were about to commit a crime, police said.

The vehicle was gone by the time police arrived but someone had noted the Pennsylvania registration, which turned out to have been stolen during a robbery in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, in December.

On Friday, troopers set up surveillance in the parking lot and about 9:50 a.m. the same car backed into a parking space.

As troopers approached, the passenger stood outside the car and appeared to be clutching something in the front waistband of his pants, police said.

The troopers ordered him to the ground, but he ran and the officers used a stun gun to subdue him.

As the stun gun hit the man, police said, a .380 Smith & Wesson handgun was observed flying into the air from his left hand and was retrieved by the troopers.


Police said the handgun had been stolen in a burglary in Plymouth Township, Pennsylvania.

Cory D. Foster, 26, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was taken into custody after some further resistance, police said, and gave a false name.

The driver also fled but was arrested while walking on Marsh Road. Police said he gave a false name but was identified as Lawrence Payton, 25, of Philadelphia.

Police said they found a loaded 9 mm rifle in the Honda.

Payton was charged with possession of a firearm by a person prohibited and during commission of a felony, carrying a concealed deadly weapon, receiving stolen property, resisting arrest, criminal impersonation and conspiracy. He was being held at Young Correctional Institution in Wilmington in lieu of $43,000 cash bond.

Foster was taken to Christiana Hospital for treatment of injuries received during the apprehension and then arraigned on the same charges. He was being held at Vaughn Correctional Center near Smyrna in lieu of $73,500 cash bail.

Man gives ride from Fuddruckers, is stabbed and robbed