MARSHALLTON, DELAWARE (7/28/2017) Four people were injured, with two in critical condition, when fire broke out at the Creeks at Marshallton Apartments on Thursday, authorities said.
The two-alarm fire happened about 1:20 p.m. in the 2100 block of Grafton Drive, in a two-story building.
Smoke and flames were coming from the building when firefighters arrived.
At least one of the injured was trapped inside and removed by firefighters.
The blaze started in a first-floor apartment due to an electrical malfunction, said Robert Fox, chief deputy state fire marshal. He said the cause was ruled accidental. Damage was estimated at $500,000.
Paramedic First Class Yvonne T. Russell of New Castle County paramedics gave this account of the injuries:
- A 49-year-old woman suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Christiana Hospital in Stanton by Five Points Fire Company ambulance. She was in critical condition.
- A 52-year-old woman suffered from smoke inhalation and was taken to Wilmington Hospital by a Mill Creek Fire Company ambulance. She was in stable condition.
- A 37-year-old man suffered from smoke inhalation and was taken to Christiana Hospital by a Wilmington Manor Fire Company ambulance. The man was in critical condition.
- A 10-year-old girl suffered from hyperventilation and was taken to Nemours/A.I. DuPont Hospital for Children by a Mill Creek Fire Company ambulance. The girl was in stable condition.
Cranston Heights, Mill Creek, Minquas, Five Points, Belvedere, Christiana, Hockessin, Wilmington Manor, Aetna Hose, Hook & Ladder and Good Will fire companies responded.