Mariners Watch house fire ruled accidental

 

KIRKWOOD, DELAWARE (2/9/2017) A fire that heavily damaged a home in the Mariners Watch development south of Kirkwood was ruled accidental, authorities said.

The blaze was reported at 1:21 p.m. Wednesday in the 100 block of Portside Court.

Heavy flames and smoke were coming from the single-family home when firefighters from Delaware City and other companies arrived.

Investigators from the Delaware state Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire started in a trash receptacle outside the home.

Smoldering material placed in the trash can ignited combustibles, said Robert Fox, chief deputy state fire marshal.

Damage was estimated at $250,000.

No one was injured in the fire, Fox said.

The American Red Cross of Delmarva was assisting four residents displaced by the blaze.