CLAYTON, DELAWARE (1/5/2016) Smoke and smell from a heating unit caused an evacuation of the Lower School at Providence Creek Academy Charter School this morning, officials said.
The Citizens Hose Company of Smyrna was called to the school at 273 W. Duck Creek Road about 11:15 a.m.
“PCA is safe. We had an electrical smell and smoke in a 1st grade classroom in the Lower School. The building was evacuated and 911 was called. Students were housed in the auditorium during this time,” according to a statement from the school just after noon.
“The fire department investigated and found no fire. A heating unit was identified as the cause. Students are back in their classrooms now,” the statement said.